Maintaining Status

Maintaining Status


In order to maintain your F-1 visa status, you must:

Attend the school and degree program indicated on your I-20. Request a new form if there is any change in your degree level or major.

Carry a full course of study (9 credit hours for graduate students and 12 credit hours for undergraduate students). Exceptions can be approved ONLY by the International Student Advisor-Designated School Official.

Keep your I-20 form valid at all times. Check the expiration date in item #5 to make sure that it is still valid. Request a new form if any major changes occur in your situation (e.g., changes in source of funding, marital status, major, degree program).

Follow the required procedures (with the help of the Designated School Official/International Advisor) in a timely manner when:

– Applying for extension of stay
– Transferring to or from another school
– Registering each semester
– Dropping less than a full-time courseload
– Withdrawing from school
– Applying for OPT
– There have been any changes in personal information

Refrain from off-campus employment without ICE or school authorization. Off-campus work permission is approved ONLY by ICE in case of an extraordinary circumstance. It is illegal to work without authorization and you are subject to deportation.

Keep your passport valid at all times.

Translate »